Sunday, February 24, 2019

Blog 1: First Coupke Adventures and Thoughts on the Trip

This trip has been an amazing thus far and already surpassed my expectations.  Before leaving for the trip I was super excited but had a few reservations. It is always a little nerve wracking traveling to a foreign country where you don't know your way around or what to expect. The first thing that I learned is that the people and the atmosphere is so friendly down here. Everyplace that we have gone thus far on the island we have been greeted with a big smile and whoever is there has been excited to teach us a few things and show us the ropes.  I feel like in our society we are not as willing to just walk up to strangers and start talking and hanging out with them. For example, the other night when we were at the bar after dinner at the jerk center we were all playing dominos and all the locals were so inviting and we're helping us learn how to better play dominos and learn the strategies that they use when they play. They we're also just playing and hanging out with us in general.  This would not be the case back home we are much more to ourselves in the states.


One of my original reservations had to do with the fact that I am an extremely picky eater. I wanted to be able to try all the national dishes but was worried about how much I would actually eat. I am quite proud of myself as I have tried quite a bit since being here. I have learned that I really like the sweetened condensed milk in my coffee and the patty are really good! Other stuff has been quite good but I don’t handle spicy food well so that has been a struggle. All in all I have had an amazing time so far on this trip! 


No comments:

Post a Comment