Thursday, February 28, 2019

Blog 2: Alpha

The education system in Jamaica seems very different from what we are used to in America. From what I have seen, there is little structure in the classroom to keep the kids under control. The students have a lot of energy and need structure. When structure does come, it is very strict. I think of it as tough love. The administration and teachers are tough on the students because they want to be successful in life. In America, teachers still want their students to succeed, but they go about it in a more lovingly approach. Aside from the classroom structure, one is able to tell the love the students have for each other and their culture. They want to teach us Americans about Jamaica, just as much as we want to learn. Their curiosity for American is endless. I wish we could bring them back with us, so they could experience an American education first hand, as we are doing to learn about a Jamaican education. I am impressed with the teachers at Alpha Primary for dealing with tough teaching situations. It makes me sad to see the buildings falling apart and grimy. Some classrooms don’t even have crayons for the students to use. The classrooms are tiny, but everyone makes it work. They never complain, they just go with the flow. I strive to learn how to just roll with things that one cannot control. Even though in America we may think that some of the inner city schools are poor environments to learn in, I believe they’re better than what is happening in Jamaican schools. I think it would be helpful to donate school supplies to Alpha Primary because they have so few. Overall, I have enjoyed the experience here because it has given me a new perspective on what I really should be thankful for because Jamaicans appreciate the little things in life. 






No comments:

Post a Comment