Sunday, February 24, 2019

Blog Post 1: The Jamaica Experience

It’s been almost a week since we’ve arrived in Jamaica and I’m loving every second of it. The thing that I can’t seem to get over is with the exception of the first day and a half at the resort, we are getting an experience here in Jamaica that I don’t think we would be able to have as a tourist or just by visiting on our own. Dr. Egan and Dr. Scarlett have taken us to so many neat places that aren’t your stereotypical “tourist destination” so I’ve really found myself being able to immerse myself in the culture here and get to experience how they live here. Never would I have imagined myself going to the local jerk center, talking to the guys there with their different shops, enjoying the food, and then heading over to a dive bar and playing dominos with the locals or visiting Trench Town in Kingston. Along with getting to experience things I wouldn’t have done on my own, I have also noticed how genuinely nice everyone is here. I guess I had the perception going in that we would be seen as these outsider American tourists but that hasn’t been the case at all. Everyone here wants us to hang out with them and talk and they all wave and smile as we’re passing by. Finally, I’ve learned so far on this trip that sometimes you have to push yourself and get out of your comfort zone to do things that challenge you in order to get the rewards. Swimming in the blue lagoon is something I never would have done but I did and loved every second of it. And the boat ride to the lime cove island absolutely terrified me but I got to be on a gorgeous island and meet Usain Bolt in the long run. I can’t wait to keep having these experiences and to get to start working in the schools tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment