Monday, February 25, 2019

Beautiful Jamaica


Having arrived in Jamaica for the first time just one week ago today, I have had the chance to not only experience and embrace the beauty of the island, but also to reflect on why this place has been so amazing to me. In our time here so far, our group has lived in luxury at Jewel Runaway Bay, an all-inclusive resort, toured the New Seville Great House, learning all about the country's past, relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful countryside at the Sea Cliff hotel, went shopping at the San Antonio marketplace, experienced a street dance party, hiked through Reach Falls, went to Sunday service at a breathtaking cathedral in Kingston, and spent a lot of time soaking up the hot sun on some of the most pristine beaches I have ever seen - at one of which we met the fastest man on Earth, Usain Bolt! While I am thankful and blessed to have reveled in such fun and enjoyable activities and experiences, my answer to the self-proposed question of what makes this place so special has nothing to do with any of the things mentioned above. What I admire most about Jamaica is the people I've met here. Everybody I encounter welcomes me with a smile, appears insanely grounded in their perceptions about life, demonstrates thoughtfulness, and openly extends love, happiness, and respect. I truly feel as if connecting with people here has enabled me to uncover these qualities within myself, giving me a more radiant energy to carry with me for the rest of the trip and always.









No comments:

Post a Comment