Thursday, February 28, 2019

Pre-Kingston Blog #1

The first week in Jamaica was better than I ever could have imagined. What kind of school trip takes students to an all-inclusive resort in the most beautiful country?? I couldn't believe the beauty of the sun, sand and ocean at the Jewel Resort. Being there for only a few days, I was so happy that each one of us had the same idea: get as much out of the time we were there as possible. One of my favorite memories from those few days will be bouncing around from ocean to pool to waterpark to hot tub trying to soak up every last drop of paradise. While we may have felt upset to leave the resort, Sea Cliff was equally - if not better - than the resort. I loved driving through the country to see the non-touristy side of Jamaica, that is really what traveling is about to me. Sea Cliff's views of the ocean were breathtaking, and the trips we took during our stay there resulted in some of the most fun I've ever had. It was unbelievable seeing the market, the blue lagoon, frenchman's cove, Reach Falls, and all the other sights. I was very surprised to see how few tourists were at these destinations - it just goes to show that many don't even leave their resort, and boy, are they missing out.

While the beaches, adventures, and views were more than breathtaking, the aspect of this trip that I will truly remember for the rest of my life are the people in this country. Not only are they beautiful on the outside, but they have such a fire for life and for others that I believe everyone in the world can learn from. For me, I won't so much remember the drinks I had but the people who made them. I won's remember the food I ate but the people who served it. And, I will forever remember being taught how to play Ludi until late in the night and talking to the Jamaican people about their lives and culture. It's not the destinations that make this country beautiful - it's the people.

No comments:

Post a Comment