Thursday, February 21, 2019

Blog Post 1: Runaway Bay - Tourists and the Natives

Something that we have talked in class, and I wrote about in my integrative paper was about tourists and the natives. We talked a lot in class about how the natives envy the tourists for being able to go to a new place.  While we are in Jamaica we do not want to be those annoying ignorant tourists, but friendly and open minded. My assumption from class was that the natives that worked at the resort were going to treat us just like any other tourists. However, we are not. We have studied the culture and the island. The natives did not treat us like outcasts. We were welcome and at the resort we made many many friends. One friend I got to meet was Barbie. Barbie is one of the entertainment directors at the resort and told me about how she appreciated our group knowing music and a little "Jamaican slang" as she called it. We talked about education and how this resort is just a stepping stone because she is one for right now. I was so in love with her and our conversation and how she did not treat me like an ignorant American tourist. I know our trip will be full of more friends to come, but let me tell ya, Barbie stood out.

Below is a picture of Scarlett and Barbie dancing on our last night at Jewel.

No comments:

Post a Comment