Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Artistic Expression Post #2


A few days ago my group and I were blessed with the opportunity to visit Trench Town in Kingston, a neighborhood that acted as an inspiration for Bob Marley, and 56 Hope Road, Bob Marley's final residence. There was so much to love about these places: the history, the art, and, most of all, the people. When in Trench Town, a man named Breezy gave us a tour of the neighborhood. This man was so friendly, engaging, and was really interested in getting to know us. Once he learned that we were all future teachers, he deviated from his traditional tour route and took us to see a special education school. Thus, we were able to see a new part of Trench Town. Along the way, he pointed out an abandoned rail car that used to be a part of a railroad that passed through the neighborhood; now, it is used as a playground for children. Besides the abandoned rail car, we were able to see a lot of murals along this tour. One of my favorites said, "Education is the Key." The final experience that I would like to reflect on was my experience at the Trench Town Art Center. Here, I met Garfield, the man who started the studio. He told me all about how he ended up in Trench Town, not knowing that he was born here, and how in 2012 he started the studio to share his knowledge and passion for ceramics. Overall, my experiences in Trench Town were amazing, and I definitely left full of inspiration.

Below is a picture of me in front of the Trench Town welcome sign.





No comments:

Post a Comment