Saturday, February 23, 2019

Blog 1: Trench Town

Today was my favorite day on the trip so far. I enjoyed exploring Trench Town. The people who have lived in Trench Town and currently do are very interesting. You can feel the close-knit community vibes there. When we were walking up and down the streets with Spikes and Stoneman, you could tell they knew almost everyone and were comfortable in the space they were in. Stoneman was really fascinating to me. He was so excited about the art supplies Dr. Egan brought from the United States because he does not have access to good supplies in Jamaica. I was fortunate enough to buy a canvas from him. This will be a souvenir I will be able to cherish forever. Everyone in Jamaica is so much more laid back than people in the United States are. It is a hard transition for me because I like a schedule to know what is happening next. I am learning to go with the flow more. The students at the Trench Town Reading Center were so eager to read with us college students. I hung around a sweet 11 year old named Ally. She has the brightest smile and the cutest laugh. She convinced me to eat the head of a sprat! It was an interesting experience, and I would probably eat it again. Also, we explored the Bob Marley museum, got ice cream, and went to Usain Bolt’s Tracks and Records. I enjoyed each of those experiences as well, but Trench Town really stuck out to me. I am eager to go back next Friday to hang out with more of the kids from Trench Town. 

This picture is of Ally from Trench Town Reading Center:
 This picture is of the canvas I bought from Stoneman:

No comments:

Post a Comment