Monday, March 4, 2019

Alpha Primary School Experience

My experience at Alpha Primary school is one I will never forget. I had the unique opportunity not only to embrace a new culture, but to see how how the influence of culture shapes education; a topic I am very passionate about as a future teacher. I am honored to have bonded so closely with the students I encountered, and even after only a week, they truly touched my heart with their energy, curiosity, and love. Going into the experience having student taught in a third grade classroom in the United States, I was looking forward to identifying similarities and differences between diverse school settings. Right away, I discovered many differences. In Jamaica, the class sizes were about twice as large as we typically see at home, with the classrooms themselves having a lot less space. It was hot, cramped, and uncomfortable. The students were not supplied with as many resources, many of them not having pencils, crayons, books, etc. Technology was nonexistent. The teachers were not warm and welcoming. The children were constantly rough-housing both in the classroom and out in the schoolyard. Really, it was a night and days difference when compared to what one would see in a formal educational setting in the United States. Initially, I thought to myself, "How does this work?" Despite the conditions of the school, the students proved to me that they are bright kids who are fully capable of learning because of their willingness to learn. They were some of the brightest and most thoughtful children I've ever met. When the teacher asked a question, everyone knew the answer, and they often all responded in unison. Second graders already knew which high-schools they hope to attend. Third graders proposed deep questions such as "What is it like to be a black person in the United States?" Their eagerness amazed me, and their spirits reminded me how important the teaching profession is. With all odds against these kids, as many of them have difficult home lives, broken and/or blended families, low socioeconomic statuses, etc., they still showed up to learn. I began to understand that even these young children recognize the value of education and have a strong desire to better their lives. In turn, this helped me realize that I want to work in a place like this where I can help make a positive impact on those who not only need it, but want it most, rather than in a place where education is taken for granted. With that being said and in consideration of all the above, I find myself dreaming of teaching in Jamaica and very much look forward to searching for opportunities to turn my dream into a reality.






No comments:

Post a Comment