Sunday, March 3, 2019

Trench Town

As we prepared for our trip in class, I knew that I would love Trench Town, and that was correct. I have never been in a community with so much culture. I would say that the tour we took through Trench Town was the most memorable part of the trip for me. Walking through a community that is SO different than my own, and seeing the people who live there and what they do was truly eye-opening. One part that I will forever remember is the type of "graffiti" that covered the neighborhood. Of course there were paintings about Bob Marley and Regge, but there were so many religious (both Rasta and Christian) paintings everywhere. It hit me so hard because I could feel God's presence in this neighborhood that faces so much adversity more than I ever have before. The people of Trench Town have the truest faith I've ever seen.

 



I also enjoyed our time at the Trench Town reading center so much. I was lucky enough to spend 4 days there, and I am so thankful for that time. Since I am going to be a high school teacher, I do not usually spend much time with children as young as at the reading center. I was reminded how much love children have in their hearts for everything and everyone. Those little boys and girls changed my heart. They are so innocent and so loving, and I think that everyone could learn something from those children. I also cannot talk about the reading center without mentioning how fantastic Sweets is. She is so inspiring and witnessing how much those children love and look up to her is heart-warming. She is the reason that reading center is as successful as it is - and she truly deserves so much credit. I will miss Trench Town every day, and I cannot thank that community enough for opening my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment