Thursday, March 7, 2019

Tourist Jamaica vs. Teaching Jamaica

I believe that it was a very valuable experience to be able to be immersed in many different sides of Jamaica on our trip across the island. We had talked a lot about the tourist industry in Jamaica, so it was interesting to be fully immersed in a typical tourist destination on the island. I could tell that the employees were working very hard to please the guests and they were taking extra care to ensure that everyone had a good time. Being on the resort was fun of course, but it was upsetting to know that most of the other guests would never step foot off the resort or try to understand the country they were visiting. I am very glad that we were able to have the opportunity to learn in depth about Jamaica before traveling there because the group was aware of the above concerns and we were excited about leaving the resort to experiencing more of what Jamaica had to offer. Our second week in Kingston to me seemed to be almost a complete 180 from the resort. We were no longer surrounded by other tourists, and we for sure stood out, especially at the school. But it was at this point in the trip where I learned the most, and the point in the trip that I loved the most. Interacting with Jamaican citizen and learning about their schools and country is something that I will never forget. Being with the students at Alpha academy taught me a lot about the kind of teacher that I want to eventually be. It also reminded me to keep in mind the uniqueness of each of the students I will encounter and to highly value each unique personality I encounter in the classroom. I understand that most tourists would not consider traveling to places outside the resort, including Kingston because of the "dangers" that are around. But I hope that more people will realize that there is going to be danger wherever you go, an you cannot avoid it in any country. If you are willing to look past your assumptions ans rumors you have heard, you can find beauty and incredible experiences wherever you go, as I found at Alpha academy in Kingston and all across the island of Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment