Sunday, March 3, 2019

Blog #3 ; Trench Town Reading Center

Blog #3; Trench Town Reading Center

I really enjoyed the trench town reading center when we went all as a group, and I felt like I didn't really connect with the kids because Kacey & I arrived a little late. But Friday, I decided to tag along with Natalie & Kewan and spend some more time with the kids. When we arrived, we all decided to take a trip to the pottery center & we took the kids. As we were walking, it was really nice to talk to girls who asked me what my favorite color was and favorite fruit, those sort of things. But this walk was very eyeopening, the walk took us through the buildings that Breezy explained as H blocks and S blocks. As we are walking, one of the girls who was holding my hand (Ally) she says "that's my house!" and she points to this house that you could only see the side of it and the top of it, for a better term it was like a "shack", but she was so proud of it! She even said "and those are my trees, that we get fruit from" and it hit me, this little girl is so proud of where she lives because it is all she's ever known, and yet there are children here in American that complain about not having a bigger house or a yard or whatever it may be. Ally was such a sweet girl, all the children were so sweet and humble, they really appreciated everything that the reading center did and they loved us going to see them. A big take away is that every time we were in trench town, I could feel a sense of community that was there.


No comments:

Post a Comment