Monday, March 4, 2019

Trench Town


One of my favorite aspects of our trip was experiencing Trench Town. Prior to visiting Trench Town, I was unsure what to expect partly because of what we learned in class, about the vulnerability of ghetto populations as well as the high risk for crime and violence, and largely due to the reactions of people when I told them we were going to be spending time in that community. Most people gave me wide-eyed looks, and voiced their concerns about the dangers to be found in Trench Town. As we pulled up to the Culture Yard for the first time and I looked around analyzing the environment, I felt a little uneasy. There were groups of people gathered in different areas along the streets, sickly looking animals roaming around, and all the homes and buildings appeared to be falling apart. However, as I soon discovered, this run down neighborhood is a beautiful, wonderful place, and home to some of the strongest and most loving people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. As our tour guide, Breezy, led us through the streets of Trench Town, he explained the history of the community, the struggles that have been overcome, the willingness of the people to work together and provide for one another, and the passion they have for creating a brighter future. The way that Breezy talked about his family and his community commanded my respect. As time went on, and I met with more people including Stone Man, Garfield, and staff and students from the Reading Centre, I realized that Trench Town is an amazing place full of strong and passionate leaders, who are stepping up making a difference in society. I will forever cherish my time in Trench Town, and can confidently say that it is a place with so much more to offer than what simply meets the eye. Following this experience, I would encourage everyone to keep and open mind and open heart, leaving room to embrace the beautiful surprises life has in store.







No comments:

Post a Comment