Monday, March 25, 2019

Goodbyes to the student's in 3P at Alpha and the students at Trench Town Reading Centre

The act of goodbyes have no doubt always been the hardest for me. Add on the layer of leaving some of the most beautiful, dedicated, and intelligent children in a space that was so welcoming to our group was very difficult and left me a little empty on the inside. However, a motto I live by is 'Do not be sad because it's over but be grateful for all those who have been encountered and the wonderful experiences you have endured'. I am grateful for having the opportunity to experience the Jamaican education system, where the young men and women take school very serious and are dedicated to improving the conditions within Jamaica. Though these students were not equipped with crayons and paper, these individual undoubtedly made the best out of their situations and utilized all the tools that they were provided with, and their mind being the most powerful. Lastly on the students at Alpha, I was amazed at the question of 'What is it like to be a Black person in America?'. There is great sense of inquiry from these young people - always wanting to know more about experiences outside of theirs - which made it difficult to depart from Jamaica. 
On the other hand, the students in Trench Town held a huge impact on my heart. These individuals were dedicated everyday after school to visiting Natalie and I, which I am sure they make it their business to attend even if there are not visitors. To known that these children included us in a space that allows them to be agents of change within the community was so interesting. Lastly, I am so thankful that I was taught a physical Jamaican game called Dog on Bone; where there would be two teams, with the same number of players, on the opposite sides of the field. There would then be a ball or shoe, which all the players and including myself preferred, and we would have to run and get it, or lik the opponent if they grabbed the shoe first. All of these joyous and playful moments made it difficult to depart. 






No comments:

Post a Comment