Saturday, March 2, 2019

Week in Runaway Bay and Portland, Jamaica

After a long day of traveling, it was amazing to get to the Jewel Resort and explore the beach and pools. I enjoyed that the buffet dinner was at large round tables so you sat with unfamiliar faces. It was interesting to talk to our table mates and learn about their visit to Jamaica. In fact, talking to strangers was my favorite part of this week in Jamaica. Whether it was locals or visitors, I liked hearing about people’s travels and experiences in Jamaica. I befriended the bartenders (Renardo and Philip) at the outdoor Aquamarina bar and talked with them for hours about all things Jamaica like their opinions on Vybz Kartel, who the best artists are, and the best things to eat in Jamaica. While talking with the employees at the Jewel Resort I kept thinking about the Here Comes the Sun book presentations. I hope that these workers actually enjoy working at the all-inclusive because I certainly got the impression that they do. Everyone greeted our group with an overwhelming sense of friendliness and hospitality. This became a trend that I noticed throughout both weeks we spent on the island. I did not want to leave the Jewel Resort, but I did want to escape crazy Joyce and was excited to get to Portland. I loved the road trip to our next hotel that was filled with Chronixx, Bob Marley, and a tasteful amount of John Denver. After a few hours on the winding roads we reached the Sea Cliff Hotel. Ashley and I were amazed by the view in our room. Two sides of our room were all windows with the clearest view of the rocky sea. Along with the view, I also loved all of the friendly dogs who were just as hospitable as the staff. I might have to buy another plane ticket to Jamaica just to come back and kidnap one of the dogs, Bruno. Our day trip to Port Antonio was hectic and fun. I enjoyed meeting the salespeople and seeing their beautiful art. The jerk picnic lunch that we ate beachside afterwards was delicious too! At night time, the highlight was drinking Red Stripes while playing dominos with Roger, the owner of a bar at the jerk center in Boston Bay. This first leg of the trip flew by, but I was looking forward to more adventures in Kingston.



No comments:

Post a Comment