Monday, March 25, 2019

Community and empowerment!

 Before arriving in the country Jamaica, I held a lot of worries about visiting this place; I was certainly unsure about how I would be perceived and treated being that I someone from the African Diaspora, however, I do not hold any real connections to my roots and heritage. The constant question of ‘Would I be welcomed in this space similar to my peers?’ crossed my mind a lot. Nevertheless, once landing in Jamaica and navigating our way through different parts, I was welcomed with open arms and was pointed out as a “brethren” quite a few times. Though there has been a lot of negative thoughts and ideas voiced about Trench Town, this was one of the spaces that I felt the warmest and affirmed in my identity of being a Black person in a majority Black Country. I am sure this is a result of a shared experiences of the ways in which I was raised and also the connection I built with Breezy, Stoneman, Auntie Sweets, and all of the children at the Trench Town Reading Centre.

To Breezy,

    I am thankful for your advice about the importance of after school programs for Black Children, especially in communities and areas where there is not a strong oasis – where young Black kids could be empowered and have a safe space to heal and be in community with others who have the same experience. Lastly, thank you for stating that you and your community would always be watching out for me.


 To Stoneman,

    Thank you for the beautiful art piece and the words of encourage about how us all people are connected to each other and the earth.


Auntie Sweets,

    Thank you for showing me how to be an agent of change in even some of the darkest times and spaces – this is also an important characteristic to illustrate to younger generations.


To the after school children at Trench Town Reading Centre,

    Thank you all for the most beautiful moments and your dedication to interacting and teaching us from America.


No comments:

Post a Comment