Friday, March 1, 2019

Artistic Expression Post #3

Yesterday I had an amazing day! After a few days of sickness, I was able to finally experience what the schools are like here in Kingston. The teachers are welcoming and they have so, so much to knowledge to share. I spent a good 45 minutes just sitting and sharing experiences and goals with Sharon, one of the 1st form art teachers. She was so kind and was interested in how I ended up here in Kingston. She shared her passion for art and teaching with me, as well as her love of travel--she plans to get her master's degree somewhere outside of Jamaica so she will be able to experience another culture. With her being a first year teacher, I felt we had a lot to connect about. In addition to the teachers, the students are vibrant and were full of energy and questions. I had such a great time bonding with them over our similar tastes in music, movies, tv shows, and artists, however I also loved learning new things from them. They were so kind and passionate--not all of them about art, but definitely about their education. It was truly refreshing to be able to interact with them. Lastly, I was able to spend the evening with some children at the Trench Town Reading Center.  This was so much fun! The students were learning about Chinese New Year, so we made pig hats because it is the year of the pig. Students were also able to break a piñata and share the candy. I will forever remember them chanting "auntie Natalie" and "uncle Kewan."

Below is an image of a student at the Trench Town Reading Center wearing her pig hat (:

No comments:

Post a Comment