Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Blog #1 Runaway Bay

When we arrived in Jamaica, it was surreal. I've never been out of the country. In fact, I've never even been on an airplane. There was a lot of excitement surrounding all my other Augustana friends too upon arriving at the all inclusive Jewel resort at Runaway Bay. The beach and buildings were all so beautiful. While at the resort, I noticed a few things. First, most of the people staying at the resort were families with young children. Many of the families were American too, so it didn't really feel like we were in Jamaica completely yet. However, a group of us walked out of the resort along the beach and the locals we encountered (even though they were mostly trying to sell us things) were incredibly nice and genuinely welcoming. I remember one lady saying "welcome to Jamaica, you've come home" and I thought it was very kind. When we drove off the resort, I started to wave to the locals and I would say that 99% of them waved back. I loved it! This would not happen in America. My entire van started waving throughout the trip, too. Even though I really enjoyed the time we spent at the resort, I'm so grateful we went to different places in Jamaica. This way, we gained a broader experience of the culture of Jamaica instead of just one part of it. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from Runaway Bay:


No comments:

Post a Comment