Saturday, March 2, 2019

Trench Town Reading Center with Alex

This day was one of my most memorable experiences here in Jamaica. We got to your Trench Town and experience the lively hood Bob Marley grew up in. After our tour, we visited the reading center and met some of the kids. I was immediately drawn to a young boy named Alex. He was very shy, and no one had asked him to read with them yet. He at first turned me down but then I asked him to read to me because “I did not know how to read”. I got a big chuckle from that and we clicked from there. We asked each other so many questions about each country. I learned so much about Jamaica in a short time period. I learned about his family and all of his brothers and sisters who live together in one home, and he in turn learned about my brother and sister although my brother does not live at home anymore. His birthday was on the 2nd, of March so I got to celebrate with him a couple of days early (sadly because we were heading back to the states the day of his birthday). I gained a new perspective for the people and livelihood of Trench Town. He helped me see the good and bright side of all situations. I will cherish our time spent together for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment