Tuesday, March 26, 2019

First stop, Runaway Bay Jamaica!

Visiting Jamaica was the first time that I have traveled outside of the United States and it was the first time I was on a plane – first time for everything so I had a lot to indulge in while on this experience. I am so glad this was my first experience as it relates to traveling abroad; it was very spiritually moving. However, the first stop we made on this trip was Runaway Bay, which was an all-inclusive resort. I was a little put off by the act of engaging in being a tourist because of my personal beliefs and what we have learned in EDUC 262; it almost does some sort of disservice to the countries we visit. This, however, was not the experience for the Augie Jamaica 2019 group; we all engaged quite well with the workers at the resort which these interactions were no surface level. On the second night, for example, Ally, Autumn, Kacey and myself were able to talk some workers about Vybz Kartel, politics (in Jamaica and the United States – which they knew a lot about our current president and those that live within Jamaica. These folks were also surprised about how much we knew the music there, especially Dancehall and the artists. Being a tourist is quite interesting, one could either take the country without the people or engage and learn from those within the land of the country. The latter is what I choose to do no matter where we traveled to on the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment